[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2033: Moving g.pnmcomp to lib/display to improve render performance of wxGUI

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 09:14:57 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2013/11/26 Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>:
>
> > The fastest solution is what you get if you use the cairo driver and
> > $GRASS_PNGFILE has a ".xid" suffix. The driver creates an X11 or
>
> it's not really related to this issue. Anyway it would be probably
> good idea to rename all environmental variables related to rendering,
> e.g. GRASS_WIDTH to GRASS_DISPLAY_WIDTH, GRASS_DISP_WIDTH, or
> GRASS_RENDER_WIDTH and so on.
>
> The variable GRASS_PNGFILE is also very misleading name, it's not used
> only for producing PNG files. Cairo driver supports many formats which
> are given by filename extension, so probably GRASS_DISPLAY_FILE would
> be better.
>
> What do you think?

I think it would be great. It is part of the (programming) interface, so I
deserves good, properly considered and descriptive names.

I'm against shortened names, so GRASS_DISP_WIDTH is not my choice. If I
would designing this from scratch, I would choose GRASS_RENDER_WIDTH
because it describes what is happening. However, we have display driver and
we use the term display architecture, so GRASS_DISPLAY_WIDTH seem to be the
right choice now unless we want to rename display things to render things.

Note that renaming is not completely unrealistic option because in GUI we
use "display" for windows and "render" for rendering of images, so in fact
we are already using the other render-oriented terminology, the only
problem are display commands which relates to both render and display
things.

Vaclav