[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Oct 7 13:15:58 PDT 2013

>To start with, it needs to be established that Python is actually
>installed correctly. To this end, I need to see the output from the
>shell commands:
>
>        assoc .py
>        ftype python.file
>        echo %PATHEXT%

tested with a _not pristine_ win7 + python-installation, so more
eventualities should be reported!

python is installed by ArcGIS on this testing box here.

ArcGIS 10.0 installed C:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0

after upgrade

ArcGIS 10.1 installed C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1

AFAIR most of the winGRASS-users have ArcGIS 10.x installed

now above tests in a windows command line (started by windows start ->
command line - cmd.exe in a console window):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\tmp\testpython>assoc .py
.py=Python.File

C:\tmp\testpython>ftype python.file
python.file="C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe" "%1" %*

C:\tmp\testpython>echo %PATHEXT%
.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

>Then, I would need to see the result of running a python script from
>the shell (that's cmd.exe in a console window, not bash, or anything
>running in MSys' rxvt, or the GUI's "command line").

test.py:

print "Hello, Python!";

C:\tmp\testpython\test.py

a error box pops up that test.py can't by executed because of no associated
program can be found (see echo %PATHEXT%)

please others report with other win7/8-python-confgurations

-----
best regards
Helmut