[GRASS-dev] GDAL-GRASS plugin

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 8 12:14:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a strange message,

Not strange :-) See below...

> If I try to use gdal from shell (or from
> GRASS, using r.in.gdal), I got:
>
> gdalinfo --help
> ERROR 1: libgrass_I.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This means that the path to "libgrass_I.so" is missing from LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> I saw:
>
> http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_install_GDAL-GRASS_plugin

I have updated the troubleshooting for this:

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_install_GDAL-GRASS_plugin#ERROR_1:_libgrass_I.so:_cannot_open_shared_object_file:_No_such_file_or_directory

> the link to get the GDAL/OGR-GRASS plugin bring to
> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/ where the lastest version is
> gdal-grass-1.4.3.tar.gz, but if I look at OSGeo4W, see
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/release/grass/gdal-grass/
> you can see that the last version should be
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/release/grass/gdal-grass/gdal-grass-1.5.4-4.tar.bz2,
> but it seems empty to me...
> Which one should I use?

Empty = bug but it would be a windows binary anyway.

You have everything ok I believe except "trick" indicated in the
Troubleshooting section.

> Moreover "A script to configure/install easily can be found here", the link:
>
> http://mpa.itc.it/markus/useful/conf_install_gdal_ogr_grass_plugin.sh
>
> it seems broken.

Right, updated to
http://www.grassbook.org/neteler/useful/conf_install_gdal_ogr_grass_plugin.sh

> Trying to compile the gdal-grass:
>
> gdal-grass-1.4.3  $ ./configure --with-grass=$GISBASE
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for g++... g++
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking for g++ -shared ... yes
> checking for gdal-config... /usr/bin/gdal-config
> using /usr/lib/gdalplugins as GDAL shared library autoload directory
> checking for G_asprintf in -lgrass_gis... no
> configure: error:
> --with-grass=/home/pietro/docdat/src/gis/grass/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> requested, but libraries not found!  Perhaps you need to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
> /home/pietro/docdat/src/gis/grass/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib?
>
> But the LD_LIBRARY_PATH global environment it seems to be set correctly:
>
> gdal-grass-1.4.3  $ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> :/home/pietro/.local/lib:/home/pietro/docdat/src/gis/grass/grass_trunk/dist.x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib
>
> Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Create the file
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/grass6.conf
containing the path to the lib directory, then "ldconfig".

Markus