[GRASS-dev] test of skeleton functionality in v.voronoi

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Oct 18 03:28:39 PDT 2013

Markus M,

I know this is still very fresh, but I was excited about seeing your
addition to v.voronoi allowing to calculate skeletons and longest lines
for areas. Amongst others, this could be useful for calculating some
shape parameters of polygons for region-based classification.

So, just a quick feedback. I ran the module on the entire urbanarea map,
in order to test scalability. The results are really nice and I haven't
found evident errors, yet. It takes quite a while, though:

time v.voronoi -s --overwrite input=urbanarea at PERMANENT output=area_length

real	67m21.294s
user	66m37.228s
sys	0m30.684s

time v.voronoi -s --overwrite input=urbanarea at PERMANENT
output=area_length_thin2000 thin=2000

real	56m56.732s
user	56m15.180s
sys	0m17.268s

Next, I'll try it on the results of an i.segment run.

Moritz