[GRASS-dev] g.extension still broken in GRASS 7 on Mac

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Oct 24 08:38:41 PDT 2013

Michael Barton wrote:

> > it tries to run the virtual session therein to generate the header of
> > the manual. So it wants to use PERMANENT rather than store anything
> > there. Perhaps there is a switch needed/existing to not test who the
> > owner of the mapset is.
>
> Forgot to ask, if anyone as an idea as to *which* PERMANENT it is
> looking for. I'm the owner of all the directories in by GISDatabase
> folder. So where is it finding a PERMANENT that I don't have
> permissions for?

It's probably $GISBASE/demolocation/PERMANENT.

The run_grass macro in Rules.make sets GISRC to $(RUN_GISRC) when
executing commands (the Makefiles are designed to work outside of a
GRASS session). It also sets GISBASE, PATH, PYTHONPATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or the equivalent on other platforms) and LC_ALL.

Grass.make sets RUN_GISRC to $(GISBASE)/demolocation/.grassrc70.

That file is constructed by demolocation/Makefile, and uses
$GISBASE/demolocation/PERMANENT as the current
database/location/mapset.

You can override RUN_GISRC on the make command line if you want to use
a different $GISRC file.