[GRASS-dev] Email subject standards

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 14:22:40 PDT 2013

Hi Michael and others,

please note that changing subject when you reply an email breaks the email
thread, so then there are two threads instead of one.

Even adding some words to the subject line is usually considered as a
change, so it creates a new thread.

Keeping one topic with one subject is better because it works well with
Mozilla Thunderbird Conversations, Gmail conversations and most importantly
with Pipermail/Mailman archive [1]. It does help Gmane or Nabble too
(although Nabble seems to handle some cases).

Tickets also have the same name even when they are solved or there is some
progress. Moreover, they have number, so they are archived in the right way
even when the name was changed. But the only identifier for emails is the
subject, so we should keep it unless the topic changed.

If we all agree about it, we might consider writing some (short)
instructions somewhere.

Vaclav

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-October/thread.html