[GRASS-dev] natural neighbor in G7?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Apr 14 08:34:10 PDT 2014

On 08/04/14 14:03, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> potentially I have a student who could spend some time on this topic.
> Currently we have for G6 an addons module (bash script) [1] which
> depends on nn-c library [2]. This library is distributed under MIT
> licence, but partly it's depending on tringle library [3] (Delaunay
> triangulation) which is not really open source.
>
> I see three possible options:
>
> 1) create new GRASS lib for nn from scratch (this is probably to much
> for student work)
> 2) use open source lib which has nn implemented, eg. CGAL [4]. This
> would require a new dependency for GRASS. CGAL is very powerful
> library and could be probably used by other modules in the future.

Do you have an idea how CGAL compares to GEOS ? Could the former replace
the latter for those functions where GEOS is used ?

> 3) use nn-c and replace triangle lib by open source solution (in GRASS
> we have Delaunay triangulation so probably it could be reused?) nn-c
> is distributed under MIT licence so it could be probably integrated to
> the main code as an extenal library (lib/external) if I am right...

I think you can even integrate it into the main code. The result will be
GPL'ed, even if the original code by itself remains under MIT.

If 3) is possible I would think it is preferable to 2, unless we see a
lot of other uses for CGAL in GRASS.

Moritz