[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 18:12:21 PDT 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Hamish <hamish.webmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Markus Metz wrote:
> > ESRI assumes that their system-wide Python installation will never
> > change. That is rather ignorant. I don't think GRASS should mimik the
> > aggnorant ignorance of ESRI.
>
> I think that's more a reflection on the way things are done in the MS
> Windows world: the last program to install itself wins. Which leads to
> the usual 1st trouble shooting step on Windows after seeing if a
> rebooting helps: try uninstalling then reinstalling the program. Then
> the program you are trying to use becomes the last thing to be installed
> and magically wins again (but by breaking the previously installed
> conflicting software). Of course with Linux rpm/deb package managed
> system uninstalling and reinstalling typically does not change
> anything, you usually would have more luck renaming away ~/.foorc/
> and starting fresh that way.

This is a good point as well as Markus's note about .py being associated
with editor instead of interpreter. Installing some general developer
editor or SDK such as the one from MS, always associates whatever
extensions it knows about and then later another tool does the same, time
to time you can opt-out, but this is seldom true.