[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Apr 30 00:51:34 PDT 2014

Markus Metz wrote:

> >> really nice attitude ;-) Martin
> >
> > At least I'm not saying "you ARE going to use our version of Python,
> > whether you like it or not".
>
> People installing GRASS want to use GRASS. They want GRASS to work out
> of the box. They can use any Python version they want, as long as
> WinGRASS uses its embedded Python version. Users will not notice it.

You're assuming that users have a free choice as to what they install.
Some sites actually have policies about what software they'll allow on
their systems.

When it comes to determining those policies, general-purpose
interpreted languages get a rougher ride than most. Applications which
bundle private copies of such get an even rougher ride, if they don't
simply get rejected out of hand.