[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Apr 30 07:57:19 PDT 2014

Hi folks,
A lot of the folks I introduce to GRASS are already GIS users, using a
different GIS software package.  They are unlikely to stop using their
existing software while trying GRASS, have a "spare" computer that would
only have GRASS loaded, or be able to install a virtual instance of windows
to run just GRASS .

In the managed Windows desktop  environment that I work in, there is an
"approved"  mainline proprietary gis that is installed with its own version
of python installed as the system python. I cannot recommend the
installation of any software that interferes with that combination of
software.  The mainline gis, when updated periodically, will also probably
have a new version of python installed, without regards to other geospatial
software that is installed.

If GRASS7 cannot operate reliably in that environment , it is unlikely that
it will be installed in my managed Windows work environment.

I appreciate the ongoing technical discussion and I'm looking forward to a
workable solution.  There are several ways that GRASS7  on Windows could be
( in my personal opinion) an effective tool in my organization.

Doug

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>wrote:

> > > At least I'm not saying "you ARE going to use our version of Python,
> > > whether you like it or not".
> >
> > People installing GRASS want to use GRASS. They want GRASS to work out
> > of the box. They can use any Python version they want, as long as
> > WinGRASS uses its embedded Python version. Users will not notice it.
>
> You're assuming that users have a free choice as to what they install.
> Some sites actually have policies about what software they'll allow on
> their systems.
>
> When it comes to determining those policies, general-purpose
> interpreted languages get a rougher ride than most. Applications which
> bundle private copies of such get an even rougher ride, if they don't
> simply get rejected out of hand.
>
> --

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.