[GRASS-dev] measuring cpu time for each module and estimating modules scalability

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 04:00:36 PDT 2014

Hi all,

just some intellectual thoughts for the weekend (I'm off for a
weekend, so no need to rush with the answer). I started to write some
script  [1], which tries to estimate CPU time, needed for each GRASS
module (currently, I have about 4-5 raster modules). Target is to
create suit (rather then simple script), which could estimate how each
process scales (based on number of features or raster cells, which
need to be processed) and put GRASS modules into row. Also estimate
rawly CPU time, which is consumed by each module.

Any thoughts to this?

I started with the dataset from Martin [2], but I thing, I'll switch
over to spearfish, one resolution for now. I did not figure out yet,
how to implement equivalent of unix time [3] program in Python

Thanks

Jachym

[1] https://github.com/jachym/grass-performace
[2] http://geo.fsv.cvut.cz/data/grasswikicz/freegeodatacz/aktualni/