[GRASS-dev] measuring cpu time for each module and estimating modules scalability

Sören Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 8 05:29:07 PDT 2014

Hi Jachym,
here some suggestions from me:
* When using PyGRASS: please create a Module() object before the
benchmark run (run_=False) because PyGRASS will call the GRASS module
to analyse its XML output before any processing is done. This may
influence the runtime and therefore the benchmark significantly for
small data.
* Try to make a sync (man sync) at the end of each run, to avoid
caching of output data in the main memory measurement instead of hard
disk IO performance
* Please consider to integrate your benchmark suite into the GRASS
testing framework GSoC project [1] which already includes runtime
analysis.

Best regards
Soeren

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2014/TestingFrameworkForGRASS