[GRASS-dev] updates needed on wingrass webpage?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 07:22:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> > Finally, the LOCATION that is provided with WinGRASS is called
> NORTH_CAROLINA
> > which is different from nc_spm_08 for GRASS6 and nc_spm_08_grass7 for
> GRASS7.
>
> You mean in the installer?
>
> > This is not a huge issue but users who may already have NORTH_CAROLINA
> from previous installs
> > and skip downloading it for WinGRASS7 may be surprised that the vector
> data don't work.
> > Should the name of this location be changed (preferably to
> nc_spm_08_grass7) to indicate
> > that this is a different data set in terms of vector data format?
>
> I don't see that on
> http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/binary/mswindows/native/#Sample_Data
>
> Please let me/us know where to fix that issue.

It's the installer:

http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/GRASS-Installer.nsi.tmpl#L1034

Here is what is used for NC and Spearfish:

label
file
fancy name
tared dir name
created location name

North Carolina (Wake County) Data Set
nc_spm_08_grass7.tar.gz
North Carolina (Wake County)
nc_spm_08_grass7
North_Carolina

South Dakota (Spearfish County) Data Set
spearfish_grass60data-0.3.tar.gz
South Dakota (Spearfish County)
spearfish60
Spearfish60

The problem is that what is in installer does not fit with what is online,
so it is hard to create instructions for multiple platforms since the name
of location will be different if you download file using installer on MS
Windows and if you download manually on any platform.

And then we are also referring to this sample location in manuals in some
way. I recently stepped into this issue too when writing documentation for
testing framework.