[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2395: Startup runs as in Cygwin when CYGWIN is set although running as native application

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Wed Aug 20 09:15:33 PDT 2014

#2395: Startup runs as in Cygwin when CYGWIN is set although running as native
application
  Reporter:  wenzeslaus   |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
 Component:  Startup      |     Version:  svn-releasebranch70
Resolution:  fixed        |    Keywords:  cygwin, wingrass, environmetal variables
  Platform:  MSWindows 8  |         Cpu:  Unspecified

Comment(by hellik):

 Replying to [comment:12 wenzeslaus]:
 > Replying to [comment:9 wenzeslaus]:
 > >
 > > So, I will change this accoring to [http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail
 /grass-user/2014-August/070728.html GRASS-user Grass-7.0 beta3 fails to
 launch].

 > Committed to trunk and 70 in r61705 and r61706.
 >
 > Replying to [comment:11 hellik]:
 > >
 > > as the source of original failure report is an incomplete
 installation, closing ticket?

 > Closing. However, shouldn't the installer tell you that it was in fact
 unsuccessful installation and that nothing will work, or that you are not
 running it with admin rights (assuming now that admin right are really
 necessary). I guess that GRASS itself cannot tell much since it is broken.

 few years ago I've implemented in the standalone installer to ask/install
 by admin

 http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/mswindows/GRASS-
 Installer.nsi.tmpl#L100

 {{{
 100     ;Request application privileges for Windows
 101     RequestExecutionLevel admin
 }}}

 by simple double clicking (no right click) on the standalone installer,
 you ''should'' be asked to grant admin rights. similar is implemented in
 the OSGeo4W-setup.

 regarding ''should'', as there are so many different flavours of windows
 with too many different system rights settings out there in the wild, it's
 hardly possible to catch all possible hurdles.

 at least it should be mentioned in the download page.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2395#comment:13>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>