[GRASS-dev] d.out.file

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:25:56 PST 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anna wrote:
> > I just added the support of exporting image from wxGUI and d.mon
> > through command line. It does not support the advanced options of
> > d.out.file in GRASS 64 (mainly because of different rendering
> > mechanism). Testing (especially in d.mon) is welcome.
>

> Hi Anna,
>
> one very useful advanced option of the GRASS 6 d.out.file is the
> output format geotiff, that way you can compose a scene and export
> it, then reimport it as a georeferenced RGB image. Do we still have
> a way of doing that?
>
> No, we don't. Or better say, accoring to the fact that d.out.file is being
reintroduced, we don't have the way yet.

But my question is: wouldn't be d.out.rast/d.to.rast even better than
d.out.file to GeoTIFF with subsequent import and r.composite.
d.out.rast/d.to.rast would do the mentioned process automatically.

Clearly, there is a place for both and I think I would use both; export as
GeoTIFF, referenced PNG, or what ever for use in other applications as well
as direct (at least from user point of view) conversion to raster map (for
3D view surface cover).

Vaclav

The quadruple size is problematic for making poster sized output