[GRASS-dev] r.profile limits in Windows 7

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 01:10:09 PST 2014

Hamish wrote:
>> what we should do is explicitly look for "profile=-" for
>> reading from stdin, to make it more clear that it exists. another
>> more GUI friendly way is to add a new option for an input file, which
>> would be mutually exclusive with the profile=[east,north[,east,north,...]
>> method of using the module.

Vaclav:
> I agree with more GUI friendly way.

Actually it was the only way, since profile= expects comma separated
pairs, and the parser (if it was working!) refuses to accept just
one "-" for the option.

So now in trunk r59033 profile= only accepts sets of coord pairs,
and for stdin you have to use coordinate_file="-".

> Once done in r.profile, this functionality will be instantly
> available for MS Windows users (using only GUI).

fwiw both <stdin and command line are just as available and work in
the same way on MS Windows as in Mac and UNIX. That the MS Windows
users are not currently getting a command line dos box from the
default desktop icon is debatably a mis-feature (there's a long
discussion in a trac ticket about that).

> Note that currently when you forget to fill `profile` in GUI and
> press Run, you will get strange behavior.

Now it should be better, you have to leave profile= blank and also
add "-" to the coordinate_file= option. Still possible to get stuck waiting for stdin to close, but much
less probable.

Hamish