[GRASS-dev] r.profile interface changes

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 08:02:15 PST 2014

Hi,

Hamish and I did some changes in r.profile. X monitors-related parts of
documentation removed, standard options introduced and most notably, Hamish
added `coordinate_file` option to enable file input and make clear end
checkable when standard input is used.

I'm just unsure about names `coordinate_file` and `profile`. Predefined
name for G_OPT_M_COORDS standard option is `coordinates`, so it will be
good if `profile` would be renamed to `coordinates`. It would also improve
r.profile call syntax from my point of view:

- r.profile input=... profile=
+r.profile input=... coordinates=

Moreover, profile is the output of r.profile, not the input. So, do you
agree with rename of `profile` to `coordinates`?

I'm not sure about `coordinate_file` versus `coordinates_file`. What is
more correct English here?

Note that Grass7/NewFeatures page was not updated yet.

And what about d.where and d.profile linked in r.profile manual? What they
were doing at X monitors? What is their replacement in `g.gui` and `d.mon
wx*`? Do we want for them something like what was recently implemented for
d.out.file? Note that there is currently no way to run wxGUI profile tool
from command line.

Vaclav

[r59031] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/59031
[r59033] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/59033
[r59052] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/59052
[Grass7/NewFeatures] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass7/NewFeatures
[r.profile] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/r.profile.html
[d.where] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/d.where.html
[d.profile] http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/d.profile.html
[GRASS-dev] r.profile limits in Windows 7
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2014-February/067354.html
[GRASS-dev] d.out.file
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2014-February/067362.html