[GRASS-dev] GRASS GIS packaged without GUI

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 13:47:16 PST 2014

Hi,

when installing incomplete GRASS GIS 6.4.3 from packages on Ubuntu I get
the following error when I start using `grass` command:

Starting GRASS ...
python: can't open file '/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py': [Errno
2] No such file or directory
Received EXIT message from GUI.
GRASS is not started. Bye.

It is caused by the fact that I have installed grass-core and not
grass-gui, so I have modules and `grass` command but I don't have any GUI.

Although, packaging is what caused the problem, it seems that it is our
problem since we claim that GRASS is usable without GUI or don't we?

Once user reads `grass -h` he or she can realize that `grass -text` could
start and it of course starts. The problem is that when grass-gui package
is not available, text interface should start (should be the default or
fallback), but once grass-gui is installed GUI should be the default option.

Besides the start, modules do not have their GUIs:

g.region --ui
python: can't open file '/usr/lib/grass64/etc/wxpython/gui_core/forms.py':
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

This is not so critical error, just a better error message would be nice.
Maybe, the better error message would be enough also at start up.
Something, like "Have you installed GRASS GIS with GUI?"

I haven't checked the source code but I guess that it is the same for all
versions including trunk.

Vaclav