[GRASS-dev] area measurements

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 20:55:32 PST 2014

Hi all,

I added support for area measurement in wxGUI (the same place as measuring
distance). You are welcome to test. However, I have a few
questions/problems:

I was wondering if module m.measure requires a series of coordinates with
or without repeating the first pair of coordinates. This is suggested by
the fact that it requires at least 4 points for measuring area. If I
suppress this condition and use only 3 points it gives me the right result,
too.
This is probably given by the underlying functions G_area_of_polygon, but I
haven't found anything in the documentation. I would be glad if we can
write something in the m.measure manual because the user might be surprised
not to get area for 3 points.

The second thing is about projection. For this projection:

name=Lambert Conformal Conic
proj=lcc
datum=nad83
a=6378137.0
es=0.006694380022900787
lat_1=34.33333333333334
lat_2=36.16666666666666
lat_0=33.75
lon_0=-79
x_0=609601.2199999997
y_0=0
no_defs=defined
unit=Foot_US
units=Foot_USs
meters=0.3048006096012192

I get nothing from m.measure. I can create a ticket if necessary.

Best,

Anna