[GRASS-dev] change linear back to bilinear in grass7 ?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 02:29:38 PST 2014

Helena wrote:
>>  As we are going through the class material I have noticed
>> that in GRASS7  in r.resample.interp method bilinear was
>> changed to linear and bicubic was changed to cubic.

Martin:
> for the record, there was a discussion about that a while
> ago [1]. So probably we will to open this discussion again.
> [1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-May/063855.html

Hi all and happy new year.

for my 2c wrt interpolations I seem to come across "bilinear" in the world-beyond grass more commonly, and to me it makes more sense.
Is the "bicubic" truly considering x and y separately? i.e. is it actually correct to use the "bi-" prefix with it? If it's more of a buffer operation, cubic might be better.

but whatever is chosen, consistency in use is good to help with the learning curves. I wouldn't object to bilinear + cubic though if each was considered best in its class.

regards,
Hamish