[GRASS-dev] Handling of Python scripts on MS Windows

Pietro peter.zamb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 08:13:19 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 28/01/14 16:07, Vaclav Petras wrote:
>>
>> The current problem is that there
>> is a incompatibility between Python 2.7.3 and 2.7.4; some import fails
>> because older system Python library (dll)  does not contain MAXREPEAT
>> variable. (To be honest, now I'm not sure how (dll) library is involved
>> in this. I remember that even our python.exe was using dll from system
>> Python...)
>

> I think this is the main issue: AFAIU, unless we completely isolate the
> GRASS Python environment from the outside, mixes such as can potentially
> happen.
>
> virtualenv might be a solution to this, but I don't know it enough.

I'm using virtualenv daily to isolate GRASS on my system (linux), but
still I'm not sure if could be the solution for windows users. I guess
could be a solution if we create a setup.py file using setuptools [0]
transforming GRASS into a normal python package (like: numpy, gdal,
proj4, etc.).

In this way all the Mac/Linux/windows users should be able to install
GRASS and all its dependencies with:

$ easy_install grass

or using pip

$ pip install grass

But I've never used setuptools so I don't have the knowledge to set
and configure a setup.py file for such complex project like GRASS.

Pietro

[0] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools