[GRASS-dev] Installing MS DLLs failed because of 404

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 13:32:19 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

>  > Do you have the any idea why download would fail?
> > The computers have different system configuration
>
> some possible issues:
>
> - osgeo-server down?
> - winGRASS-standalone installing without admin rights?
> - no right to download from internet?
> - ...

As I wrote manual download worked. So, osgeo sever is fine and general
download works as well that's why my guess was some strange
security/antivirus settings but I don't know how to prove or disprove this.
(My first guess was problem with server because of 404 but it was easy to
disprove.)

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:

> > Also do you think that the steps from the installer should go to the wiki
> > [1].
>
> maybe yes, but doubling of packages on the server should be avoided IMHO.

The guide is there but I don't want to see the user struggling with
unpacking tar.bz2 on MS Window. zip or 7z would be helpful. It might be
convenient to have both. The package is >12 MB, so size is the issue?

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WinGRASS_errors#The_GRASS_GIS_.28winGRASS.29_exits_immediately_after_I_start_it.21