[GRASS-dev] Enhancement request: print name(s) of generated map(s) upon completion

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 5 09:29:44 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM, Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be>
wrote:
> On 02/06/14 20:15, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as general improvement I would like to see that each map generating
>> GRASS command prints the name(s) of the generated maps. This is
>> especially relevant when multiple maps can generated (e.g. r.watershed).
>> wondered if a more
>> generic possibility exists at library level.

[as written, that example was *ugly*]

> Sounds quite verbose to me. Why do we need this ? Maybe make this
> conditional to --verbose ?

Dunno. Example - this I got from a user:

v.vol.rst -c input=utm3d at UTMfinish wcolumn=temp tension=10.
cvdev=cvdevmap38 maskmap=ter at UTMfinish segmax=698 npmin=699 dmin=150.0
zmult=50.0
6283 records selected from table
Processing all selected output files will require 0 bytes of disk space for
temp files
WARNING: Points are more dense than specified 'DMIN'--ignored 5938 points
(remain 345)
WARNING: 345 points given for interpolation (after thinning) is less than
given NPMIN=699
WARNING: There is less than 700 points for interpolation, no segmentation
is necessary, to run the program faster, set segmax=700 (see manual)
bitmap mask created
Percent complete:
Finished interpolating
Building topology for vector map <cvdevmap38>...
Registering primitives...
334 primitives registered
334 vertices registered
Building areas...
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands...
Attaching centroids...
Number of nodes: 334
Number of primitives: 334
Number of points: 334
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 0
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0
The number of points in vector map is 6283
The number of points outside of 2D/3D region 0
The number of points used (after reduction) is 345
(Sat May 31 11:09:50 2014) Command finished (26 sec)

... he told me that nothing got calculated (apparently he didn't use
g.list).
Indeed the information is quite buried in above output. Also r.watershed
with multiple output does not say much.

That's why I would see the generated map names printed out.

Markus