[GRASS-dev] Enhancement request: print name(s) of generated map(s) upon completion

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu Jun 5 11:16:25 PDT 2014

On 05/06/14 18:29, Markus Neteler wrote:
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlennert at club.worldonline.be>> wrote:
>  > Sounds quite verbose to me. Why do we need this ? Maybe make this
>  > conditional to --verbose ?
>
> Dunno. Example - this I got from a user:
>

> v.vol.rst -c input=utm3d at UTMfinish wcolumn=temp tension=10.
> cvdev=cvdevmap38 maskmap=ter at UTMfinish segmax=698 npmin=699 dmin=150.0
> zmult=50.0

[...]

> ... he told me that nothing got calculated (apparently he didn't use
> g.list).
> Indeed the information is quite buried in above output. Also r.watershed
> with multiple output does not say much.
>
> That's why I would see the generated map names printed out.

I understand the concern, but I wonder up to which point we have to hold
the user's hand. The information is easily available in the man page.

This is as if in R you would write out information about every single
output value a function gives you. In my eyes this would be horrible.

Let's leave at least part of the responsibility for understanding how to
use GRASS to the user... :-)

Moritz