[GRASS-dev] Updates of wiki page for compiling on Ubuntu

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:38:13 PDT 2014

Hi,

I was again revising the wiki page "Compile and install Ubuntu" (BTW, the
name is strange, do we compile Ubuntu?).

I've removed a lot of packages from the dependencies [1] since they are not
need for compilation (or running) of GRASS. I don't know about others. But
this is actually what I wanted to ask about. Do you this that we should
change the page in the way that it will reflect the most common use case
which is IMHO just compilation of GRASS but I'm not sure. Now for example,
package for PROJ4 is missing and you must find out in the wiki page what to
do. I suggest (slowly) change the page to the state where the compilation
of GRASS only will be the primary option.

This is really hard to keep this up to date since to test this, you need a
fresh installation and I don't want to keep fresh Ubuntu virtual box just
because of this. I actually think that there are still some packages
missing in the list.

Also I would like to update the ./configure command there but I don't know
if to try enable some things which I have disabled. Here is my script to
run ./configure:

#!/bin/bash

export CFLAGS="-ggdb -Wall -Werror-implicit-function-declaration
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wredundant-decls"
export CXXFLAGS="-ggdb -Wall"
export LDFLAGS="-s"

./configure \
--enable-largefile=yes \
--with-nls \
--with-cxx \
--with-readline \
--with-pthread \
--with-openmp \
--with-proj-share=/usr/share/proj \
--with-geos=/usr/bin/geos-config \
--with-wxwidgets \
--with-cairo \
--with-opengl-libs=/usr/include/GL \
--with-ffmpeg=no --with-ffmpeg-includes="/usr/include/libavcodec
/usr/include/libavformat /usr/include/libswscale /usr/include/libavutil" \
--with-freetype=yes --with-freetype-includes="/usr/include/freetype2/" \
--with-postgres=yes --with-postgres-includes="/usr/include/postgresql" \
--with-sqlite=yes \
--with-mysql=no \
--with-odbc=no \
--with-netcdf \
--with-liblas=yes --with-liblas-config=/usr/bin/liblas-config

The things which are disabled are: BLAS, DWG, FFMPEG, LAPACK, MySQL, ODBC,
OpenCL, X11. I'm fine with this. Also, I'm not installing, I'm always only
compiling so I don't have a clear idea what to set for this or if to
recommend it.

However, I think that the right location for source and compilation is not
`/usr/local/src` as suggested by wiki page but `/opt` in multiuser
environment and `/home/user/` in a single user environment (or in a case of
one responsible user and installation step in multiuser environment).

If somebody has a some ideas what to change, please contribute.

Vaclav

[1]
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/w/index.php?title=Compile_and_Install_Ubuntu&diff=20516&oldid=20500