[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r60679 - grass/trunk/lib/python/script

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Jun 7 09:28:17 PDT 2014

Martin Landa wrote:

> > I would suggest to remove the link to GRASS 71 on GRASS website unless
> > someone is going to fix this soon.
>
> I have commented out 7.1 [1,2]. I do not believe than someone will fix
> it soon.

Even if they don't, everything except scripts should still work. There
are plenty of projects where daily snapshots are far less reliable,
and where that's considered normal.

On Unix, you'd expect developers to just build from source. But on
Windows, getting a development environment set up is a lot more
effort, so having access to binaries is still useful for developers.

But you're the one hosting them (or not), so it's your call.

> The person who introduced the complete break [3] simply doesn't
> care.

No, that's not true. However, my Windows system is still rather
inadequate as a development platform (it does now have the base
MinGW/MSys installation, but not the libraries required to build
GRASS).

It doesn't absolutely *have* to be me who fixes it. I don't even use
Windows as a development platform for my own purposes. If Windows
script execution never gets implemented, that won't be because a
specific person doesn't care, but because nobody cares.

The changes required to Script.make and/or ScriptRules.make to create
batch files aren't exactly rocket science, but testing them would be
much easier for someone who has a Windows system which can actually
build GRASS.