[GRASS-dev] 6.4.4 planning

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 10 12:30:18 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Moritz Lennert
<mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
> On 06/06/14 21:43, Markus Neteler wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Moritz Lennert <moritz.lennert at ulb.ac.be>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I've already told Markus off-list, I think that in order for this to
>>> work
>>> we would need a clearly defined release-process with clear announcements
>>> of
>>> the different steps (pre-freeze warning sufficiently early, freeze
>>> announcement, pre-tag announcement, etc) and a strict respect of the
>>> rules
>>> during this process (i.e. no non bugfix commits during a freeze), etc.
>>

>> It doesn't seem to happen.

[I referred to the lack of responses in a sarcastic way :-) ]

> At this stage there have never been clear announcements, easily identifiable
> as such for all developers. We should not assume that every developer reads
> every thread. Thus, such announcements should be outside of existing
> threads, and clearly marked in the subject.

Sure. But I may mention that I do these releases since end of 1997 and
any attempt in the past to implement a *respected* release schedule
failed! See the archive for older attempts.

>> Please note ... the OSGeoLive feature freeze for the FOSS4G Portland
>> conf is upcoming. Would be a pity to not even see 6.4.4 therein!
>
> I'm a bit more available in the next weeks, so I can help with this process.
> Just let me know.

Unless we don't start tagging one day it will never reach the OSGeoLive DVD.
Their freeze is the 6 July 2014 according to Cameron's email. And indeed we need
to have GRASS 7 in it for our upcoming workshop but that's offtopic
for this email thread.

Markus  (who feels a bit blocked by some developers)