[GRASS-dev] G7: m.proj lacking - as default input answer

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 13:29:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> but might that cause harm in the wxGUI?
> >
> > right, it was the main reason why all modules (should be) in G7 has
> > been modified in this way (no default answer for input, stdin requires
> > `-`).
>
> I see. So that's
> http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2156
>
> I wonder if the could additionally allow for a more human readable
> form than input=- like we do for separator=...
> "stdin" isn't much better for many users, any other ideas?
>
> I don't see a need for more human readable value of input option.
Considering a user-beginner using GUI dialog, "no default answer policy"
saves him or her from running the module and blocking the GUI* as Martin
says.

And advanced user using the real command line probably knows about this
convention and what stdin and standard output are and if not, he or she is
not interested in using input=-.
Option output=- is set by default (or is default implicitly as in r59115,
hopefully everywhere?), so he or she gets standard output which is expected
in both GUI and command line and can set a file if this is what he or she
wants.

* although some clever GUI could parse all commands and refuse file options
set to -
r59115 http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/59115
#2156 http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2156