[GRASS-dev] G7: m.proj lacking - as default input answer

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Jun 10 14:04:13 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:29 PM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> I wonder if the could additionally allow for a more human readable
>> form than input=- like we do for separator=...
>> "stdin" isn't much better for many users, any other ideas?
>>
> I don't see a need for more human readable value of input option.
> Considering a user-beginner using GUI dialog, "no default answer policy"
> saves him or her from running the module and blocking the GUI* as Martin
> says.

Well, advanced users fail, see this email from some hours ago:
https://lists.fossgis.de/pipermail/fossgis-talk-liste/2014-June/006618.html

(you may guess it from German language)

> And advanced user using the real command line probably knows about this
> convention and what stdin and standard output are and if not, he or she is
> not interested in using input=-.
> Option output=- is set by default (or is default implicitly as in r59115,
> hopefully everywhere?), so he or she gets standard output which is expected
> in both GUI and command line and can set a file if this is what he or she
> wants.

The m.proj example in its manual was definitely broken. I have fixed it in
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/60783

Markus