[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r61027 - grass/trunk/general/g.mlist

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Jun 30 06:19:51 PDT 2014

Huidae Cho wrote:

> Some modules also use * for a special case and I didn't have an
> expansion problem with them either.

AFAIK, all the modules which currently use "*" do so because it's part
of standard glob or regex syntax.

For most utilities, using the shell's wildcard syntax makes the need
for quoting inevitable (e.g. the find(1) manual page explicitly
mentions this in relation to the -name, -iname etc options).

GRASS "gets away with it" because of the option=value syntax and the
fact that "=" is uncommon in filenames.

> I think '--option value' is a valid point though. Are we going to
> ever change option=value to --option value or planning to do so?

I doubt that we'd change it in the sense of abandoning support for the
existing syntax, but modifying G_parser() to allow either form
probably wouldn't require much work.