[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r61027 - grass/trunk/general/g.mlist

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 06:36:37 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
wrote:

> Huidae Cho wrote:
>
> > Some modules also use * for a special case and I didn't have an
> > expansion problem with them either.
>
> AFAIK, all the modules which currently use "*" do so because it's part
> of standard glob or regex syntax.

I still think that I have seen somewhere usage of * in the meaning of NULL
values. But by short search I found only:

r.report
    null   String representing no data cell value
           default: *

This is output, so the command line issues are not present, the user
confusion is.

r.mask
  maskcats   Raster values to use for mask
              format: 1 2 3 thru 7 *
             default: *

Manual does not say what * means. r.mask is using r.reclass, so if my
understanding is correct * should mean all remaining values but then the
format example does not make sense (or perhaps it does as a format
description, but not as an example).

For most utilities, using the shell's wildcard syntax makes the need