[GRASS-dev] Fwd: Android Compilation

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 21:59:29 PST 2014

Vaclav wrote:

> But this is probably not important because there is no
> way to wxPython on Andriod. At least quick google search
> said so. So, perhaps GUI is the biggest challange for
> Android (which could be to certain extent solved by QGIS
> for Android bundled with GRASS for Android).

one question I have a hard time answering is when I'd actually
want to use GRASS from an android device? Chromebook makes
a bit more sense since it is a bit more like a workstation
experience.

The main use-case I could think of was for data entry, or to aid with data accounting in an archeology grid.

http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Android#Device_used_as_a_recording_slate_in_the_field

But if the UI must be written from scratch, what do we offer (as a processing and analysis engine) that gvSIG-mobile, QGIS-android, and OSM walking papers apps (as data entry, viewing, and nav apps) don't already do?

The other use I can think of is if the ipython-notebook or whatever web UI to GRASS could launch jobs remotely on a server, like a light (or not so light) grid-engine or maui/torque cluster job submission queue.

fwiw my lightweight web-grass solution has always been to ssh/putty in to the server into a GNU Screen session, then have GRASS_PNGFILE=/var/www/map.png, then just hit refresh in the web browser. works great for command line grass junkies.

some ideas to think about where the end goal is and how/why that way would be useful for end users.

regards,

Hamish