[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #1758: Disabling python support does not prevent entry into python directories during build

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Mon Mar 31 09:31:38 PDT 2014

#1758: Disabling python support does not prevent entry into python directories
during build
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  brook      |       Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect     |      Status:  reopened
 Component:  Compiling  |     Version:  6.4.2
Resolution:             |    Keywords:  python, wxgui
  Platform:  All        |         Cpu:  Unspecified
------------------------+---------------------------------------------------

Comment(by glynn):

 Replying to [comment:10 wenzeslaus]:

 > So, would it make sense to introduce flags for building without GUI?

 Not really. In general, we try to build everything except where failure
 can be predicted based upon configure options.

 > The `--without-python` option always looked like that Python
 (interpreter) will not be used. But Python (interpreter) is build
 requirement, right? It seems that this is not reflected in
 source:grass/trunk/REQUIREMENTS.html.

 We only have configure checks for things which require them. That
 typically means compiled modules which need to know which compiler and/or
 linker switches to use.

 We used to have --with-python because the GUI included some compiled
 modules which linked against the Python library. For that to work, we
 needed to know the correct compiler and linker switches for compiling code
 which uses the Python library. Now that those modules have been removed,
 the checks are no longer necessary.

 We still have --with-wxwidgets for the benefit of wximgview, which is a
 compiled module which links against the wxWidgets libraries. Although,
 this modules may be redundant in light of wxpyimgview.py.

 > > Note that neither switch is enabled by default, so there's no point in
 using --without-python or --without-wxwidgets.

 > I like to do things explicit in cases when it is not clear to me what is
 default. Is there any problem with using `--without-...`?

 No.

 > > Any Python modules and the wxGUI should be "built" regardless of
 whether Python and/or wxWidgets are installed on the build system.

 > This is no longer true because the `g.gui.*` modules needs to generate
 their interface and they begin with import of wxPython related things. Is
 this a problem? I.e. is building of wxGUI without wxPython present a
 requirement?

 Ideally, we should provide an option to "finalise" the build on the target
 system, for the situation where the build system lacks Python (or some
 other run-time dependency) but the targets system provides it.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1758#comment:12>
GRASS GIS <http://grass.osgeo.org>