[GRASS-dev] g.mremove: adding 'map name exclusion pattern' option

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:01:54 PDT 2014

Well, the g.mremove interface looks convenient, but can be dangerous also.
For example, yesterday, I almost deleted my raster files by using the
positional parameter thing while trying to delete all my temporary vectors.

g.mremove tmp*

Whops! Did I want to delete tmp* rasters or vectors? I forgot to add vect=
and my tmp* rasters were listed. Thanks to the -f option. Like Glynn said,
having separate parameters allows deleting different types of data, but its
interface is long and not rush-to-hit-enter mistake free. Also, if we want
to add the exclude= parameter to g.mremove, it's not just one but 12
because there are 12 data types and pattern parameters. Wow! Total 24
pattern and exclude parameters. It's also more coding and headache. I would
like to suggest the following changes:

1. Change g.mremove syntax to g.mremove type= pattern=
2. Add exclude= to g.mremove.
3. Replace g.remove/g.list with g.mremove/g.mlist.

Regards,
Huidae