[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Huidae Cho grass4u at gmail.com
Fri May 2 05:29:11 PDT 2014

I agree. grass-cli and grass-gui should be completely independent and at
the same level. They are simply two different UIs that directly depend on
grass-lib. The user wants either grass-cli & grass-lib or grass-gui &
grass-lib.

Now, my opinion is if we put analysis and modeling code in grass-lib,
grass-lib would be too big or, for some users, it would contain too much
irrelevant code if all they want is simply GIS operations. Very
field-specific code such as hydrology, remote sensing, ... should be
separated out from the grass-lib and put in another layer of the libraries.
grass-cli/gui will interact with that layer directly.

grass-lib <-> grass-plugins <-> grass-cli, grass-gui, other GISs: Full
analysis/modeling suite

grass-lib <-> other GISs: Simple GIS data manipulation very common in all
fields.

Regards,
Huidae