[GRASS-dev] Who wants GUI and who does not and why

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Fri May 2 01:32:01 PDT 2014

Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> writes:

> On 18 April 2014 11:15, Pietro <peter.zamb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Vaclav,
>>
>> actually I'm a bit more extremist... :-)
>>
>> I would like to split GRASS in three main parts:
>> - grass-lib
>> - grass-cli
>> - grass-gui
>>

> I also like this idea...

I think this would be a very good idea as it would make the whole GRASS
ecosystem more transparent and easier (in my opinion) to maintain and to
use certain aspects from different applications.

Re functionality in the GUI:

The question would be if the split is

lib--cli--gui

or

   |--cli
lib|
   |--gui

in other words, if the cli is just a non graphical UI or THE interface
to the lib, through which the gui operates. I think the first design
approach would be the better one.

Cheers,

Rainer

>> At least should be possible to build these parts separately, leaving
>> the decision to split in several packages to the package maintainer of
>> each distribution (Debian, Fedora, etc.).
>>

> I think that someone is already doing something like this.
> But I don't know more because I usually compile myself GRASS
>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pietro

Stellenbosch University
South Africa