[GRASS-dev] GUI code dest dir

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat May 3 23:38:40 PDT 2014

Martin Landa wrote:

> >> probably not $GISBASE/lib/python/, as lib/ is for libgis et al. on UNIX
> >> systems.
> >
> > Note that the Python standard library typically goes into
> > /usr/lib/pythonX.Y (where X.Y is the version) on Unix.
> >
> > OTOH, the standard library includes DSOs as well as .py/.pyc files,
> > wheres GRASS' Python libraries are pure Python.
>
> speaking directly, what you would suggest?
>
> 1) etc/python -> lib/python
> 2) etc/python -> lib/python2
> 3) etc/python -> python
> 4) etc/python -> python2

Maybe share/python?

If anything needs to move, it's the executables which are currently in
etc (I believe that "libexec" is the standard directory for
executables which aren't supposed to be executed directly by the
user).

> Do we need separated python3 libs later in the future when we support
> Python3? Probably, yes if we support still Python2. Martin

Not necessarily. It's intended to be possible to write code which
works with either 2 or 3, although some features would require 2.7. If
we need to support both 2.6 and 3.x, then we'd probably need two
versions (you can't just use conditionals, because some features
affect the parser).