[GRASS-dev] Metadata GRASS (GSOC)

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu May 15 08:27:22 PDT 2014

On 15/05/14 11:23, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,

> [...]
>
>> Are there no existing implementations in Python for reading/writing metadata
>> ? Can't you reuse those parts of pycsw that deal with that ?
>
> cited from original mail
>
> 2)
> If theres some time left in GSOC term or after I would like to
> implement a server-client management of metadata using pycsw
> [3](server side) and owslib[3] in client side. Demonstration of
> functions that provide this solution is i.e. in QGIS plugin (Meta
> Search).  I  wanted to use this suggestion at first, but there are
> quite heavy dependences on others packages. In addition there is no
> any package for debian... So this solution will be for a user who
> really want to work with metadata but not fundamental ones.

Thank you Martin. I did read the original mail, but what I was wondering
was whether it would be possible to extract from pycsw just the part for
reading/writing the xml meta-data, without all the overhead linked to
its status as a server.

More generally, I just think that we can't be the only ones working on
metadata in a Python environment and that we maybe not have to reinvent
the wheel.

Moritz