[GRASS-dev] GRASS created geotiff do not properly load into PostGIS (raster2pgsql)

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri May 16 02:14:19 PDT 2014

Hi,

And sorry for posting on two lists. Just don`t know where the issue belongs to…

I tried to load a set of raster maps in Geotiff format, which I created in GRASS using r.external.out, into PostGIS 2.1.2dev.

In PostGIS the raster datasets only contain NoData values, while gdalinfo –stats produces reasonable statistics for the respective GeoTiffs.

I did some trouble shooting and found that the problem was that GRASS did not assign a numerical NoData value to the GeoTiff, but “nan”.

When I gdal_translate same GeoTiff with –a_nodata -9999, raster2pgsql loads the resulting file just fine.

Is raster2pgsql supposed to read rasters with nan as NoData values (using –N -9999 in raster2pgsql had no effect btw.) or should GRASS (r.external.out) assign a NoData value to the produced raster datasets?

Many thanks in advance,
Stefan