[GRASS-dev] G_OPT_R_MAP vs G_OPT_R_INPUT

Benjamin Ducke benducke at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 14 05:25:36 PST 2014

On 14/11/14 14:14, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
> NikosAlexandris wrote
>> What is the difference between G_OPT_R_MAP and G_OPT_R_INPUT? Which and
>> why should I prefer for my script(s)?
>>
>> Is there a step-by-step run-through of all options for composing header
>> definitions?
>>
>> --
>> Nikos
>
> see
>
> http://grass.osgeo.org/programming7/gis_8h.html#a5521b5269c52afe64e5051348b08fc69

But that table doesn't really answer the question,
does it? For both "G_OPT_R_INPUT" and "G_OPT_R_MAP"
it lists "old input raster map". AFAIU, "G_OPT_R_MAP"
is for modules that use only one input raster map.
In those cases, the corresponding input option should
be named "map=". "G_OPT_R_INPUT" would then be for
modules that have either several raster map inputs or
raster and vector maps as inputs. The corresponding
input options would then be called "raster=" and
"vector=" in case of exactly one raster and one vector
input map. Further special cases are covered by
"G_OPT_R_BASE", "G_OPT_R_ELEV", etc.: They all exist
for semantical purposes. All of them stand for raster
input maps.

Ben