[GRASS-dev] check on GRASS revision number

Michael Barton Michael.Barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 26 10:32:34 PST 2014

In the new trunk GRASS 7.1, I’m running into an error check like the following:

GRASS 7.1.svn (Penaguila):~ > r.flip &
[1] 76586
ERROR: Module built against version $Revision: 61095 $ but trying to use
       version $Revision: 62364 $. You need to rebuild GRASS GIS or
       untangle multiple installations.
[1]+  Exit 1                  r.flip

There is some value to this, but it may create more problems than it solves. As a test of what is happening to missing addons path, I installed from the GRASS 7 extensions library the module r.flip. While it is possible that r.flip will not work with revision 62364, many modules built for other revisions of the same GRASS version WILL work with a newer version. This is especially true with a lot of development work going on.

 A binary module is almost guaranteed to be built with a revision that predates the current one. Perhaps a warning is warranted but to prevent this from running seems extreme.

Michael

C. Michael Barton
Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
Arizona State University

voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)