[GRASS-dev] sample vector temporal data

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 26 12:02:54 PST 2014

On Nov 26, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Anna Petrášová wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 October 2014 at 03:21, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > as you know we need to decide which data are we going to use for t.vect.*
> > examples. One possibility is to use oceanfront shorelines of North Carolina,
> > we can get this data easily from here:
> >
> > http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/cm/download-spatial-data-maps-oceanfront
> >
> > It includes these years, interval data in case of older data, and instance
> > data from the past years:
> > 1849 - 1873, 1925 - 1946, 1933 - 1952, 1940 - 1962, 1970 - 1988, 1997, 1998,
> > 2003, 2004, 2009
> >
> > The advantage is that the data is public and basically ready to use. If we
> > decide to use it, should we include the entire NC shoreline or just some
> > detail (look at the attachment)?
> >
> > In addition, we can also create a vector time-series where the geometry is
> > not changing, just the attribute changes (derived from the climate data for
> > example).
> >
> > Any thoughts on this?
> >

> After some weeks without any comments I think we could proceed to
> create the dataset.
>
> > By the way, the climate dataset seems to be fine, we got the confirmation we
> > can use it, it is not subject to the PRISM licence since it was interpolated
> > at NC State Climate Office.
> >

> I would like to work on it and on temporal documentation in the next
> two days, so what do you think about this plan starting from the
> sample data for the temporal workshop [0]?
> - remove some years from climate_2000_2012 data, for example keep no
> more that 5 years, because right know the location is a little bit
> heavy (about 700MB) and for documentation 5 years should be fine.
>
> I agree.
>
> - create vector for static temporal dataset from towns querying the
> rasters in climate_2000_2012 to create something like virtual weather
> stations
>
> yes, but there are no NC towns as points in the standard dataset. You could use  precip_30ynormals at PERMANENT which are the meteorology stations, which probably doesn't make much sense since but maybe it's still good for the dataset.

Anna is right - in fact these are the stations which were used to create the rasterized climate time series so there is no need to create
virtual weather stations - we already have the real ones. We can get more complete data for these stations if needed
- all have at least temperature and precipitation on daily basis going back several decades.

> - add the shoreline ocean data, maybe in a new mapset
>
> Helena suggests here to select a smaller, dynamic area (some cape for example) and also provide a DEM and ortho for that area (elev_lid792 is not coastal) to get some context. I am not sure about this dataset, if it's really needed, because I don't know what kind of temporal vector analysis we could show in the manual. It could be a good dataset to show how to create animations. If we decide to do it, I can help you with this part.
>
> Another option is to derive contours from the temperature/precipitation dataset. The advantage is that's easier to prepare.
>
> - create at least one temporal dataset for each type (strds, str3ds, stvds)
>
> Do we have any temporal data for 3d raster? I don't think we necessarily have to create this dataset.

we can ask our colleagues for some 3D atmospheric data or the ocean temperature or salinity data,
but it would take us some time to get to this. We also have some good interpolated 3D/4D soil data but they are not public
at this point.

Helena