[GRASS-dev] [GRASS-SVN] r62845 - in grass/trunk/scripts: . d.shadedmap r.shadedmap

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 15:37:22 PST 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> Probably nothing to be done about this since r.shaded.relief goes back a
long time. But a more sensible renaming would have the script now called
r.chaded.relief renamed to simply r.relief. Then the modules that drape a
colored map onto a relief map could be called x.shaded.relief,
x.shadedrelief, or something like that.

That's an interesting option. I'm not sure if I like it but it's worth
exploring. If we go even further we get:

r.shaded.relief -> r.relief
r.shadedmap -> r.shade
d.shadedmap -> d.shade

Vaclav

> Michael
>

> On Nov 28, 2014, at 1:31 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Then it should be renamed.
>> >
>> > We cannot add continuously new scripts with similar names...
>>
>> +1
>>
> You mean r.shaded.relief versus [dr].shadedmap?
>
> r.shaded.relief should probably stay the same. [dr].shadedmap could be
changed. I don't particularly like the name from the beginning but I didn't
get any better idea than keeping the name [dr].shadedmap. There are just
two ideas worth mentioning and they does not seem different enough. First
is [dr].shade.rast(er) as in "put shade on raster" and the second is
[dr].rast(er).shade which is inspired by d.vect.thematic or d.rast.arrow).