[GRASS-dev] SVN trunk issue with g.list and g.remove (and solution)

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 13:16:45 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Huidae Cho <grass4u at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 05:49:08PM -0400, Vaclav Petras wrote:
>>    On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Markus Metz
>>    <[1]markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>      On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Huidae Cho <[2]grass4u at gmail.com>
>>      wrote:
>>      > Hmm... I "remove"d g.list/g.remove and "rename"d
>>      g.mlist/g.mremove. Maybe,
>>      > there is a better way?
>>      Did you "remove" or "svn remove"? Same for "rename". I guess you did
>>      "svn [remove|rename]", and some other people did not "make
>>      distclean"
>>      before "svn up". FWIW, I had no problems with your changes, doing
>>      "make distclean" before "svn up".
>>      Whoever compiles GRASS from source and wants the latest and greatest
>>      (svn up), must clean the source code first with "make distclean"
>>      before recompiling. This applies to all 4 branches. This is not
>>      GRASS
>>      specific but the way how svn works.
>>
>>    make distclean or just make clean, this might be it. The message from
>>    SVN was not much helpful, although it changed from the previous
>>    version.
>>    But usually you don't have to do make *clean, so how to know these
>>    things ahead (except for looking at Trac)? I don't know. Or is there
>>    some option in SVN (from the options you are given) to use "theirs all"
>>    as it was in previous SVN version (I don't know which)?
>
> I guess that when you "svn up", it doesn't clean the OBJ directory in
> the old g.list/g.remove directories and old object files conflict with
> the new source files?

Exactly.

The OBJ directory is not under version control, so svn does not touch
it. That means, svn up can not remove a directory if it contains
anything not under version control, and this can lead to conflicts.

Whoever compiles GRASS from source and wants the latest and greatest
(svn up), must clean the source code first with "make distclean"
before updating with svn up. This applies to all 4 branches. This is
not GRASS specific but the way how svn works. I did this on different
systems with different svn clients and had no problems.

Markus M