[GRASS-dev] No Required GUI section for g.list and g.remove

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:54:38 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> [...]
>>              and at the same time have required parameters in other
>> sections
>>              would not work well.
>>

>>              Also we could mark the required options in the gui somehow,
>> for
>>              example add a red star? In the code I see attempts to
>>         render the
>>              labels as bold, it is not used eventually, but I don't
>>         think bold is
>>              the best way anyway.
>>

>>         I attached screenshots with using the red star for required
>>         options (and
>>         in this case I was also testing when the guisection is preferred
>>         required). In my opinion, it gives you good idea what is required
>> or
>>         not. There are some problems coming from the wxPython
>>         limitations, for
>>         example the one which you see on the second screenshot: when the
>>         label
>>         is part of the border, I can't set the asterisk red, the color
>>         can be
>>         changed only for the entire label. But for majority options, it
>>         works.
>>
>>         Regarding the required vs. guisection, I really think we should
>>         try to
>>         organize the options logically, not based on required/optional.
>> Some
>>         distinction of the required options is then needed and the red
>>         asterisk
>>         seems to be a good solution. But we can discuss some other
>>         options too,
>>         of course.
>>

>>     If you really want to go down that path (it would get a 0 from me),
>>     then please remove the required tab completely. It will be very
>>     confusing to have a required section, but not with all required
>>     parameters in it.
>>
>>     I personally like the way the required tab focuses attention on the
>>     most important parameters, even though I do understand that there
>>     are ambiguities that this system creates. I'm not sure, though, that
>>     getting rid of the required tab is the solution. But if you go in
>>     that direction it should be all the way.
>>

>> Well, there are already modules which already don't have required tab
>> (r.colors, many t.* modules). Also a lot of modules have required tab
>> but it is more confusing than helpful. Do you require to remove Required
>> tab from all the modules? Even from modules where it still makes sense?
>> Or you are talking about the case when the option is required but the
>> guisection is specified, so it would get into a different tab? For the
>> first option, we would have to go through all modules (several hundreds)
>> and come up with some substitute, that's not feasible.
>>

> No, I agree with what Vaclav said: for those modules where required
> options are all in the required section, this should stay. However, if in a
> module you put required parameters in other sections, then there should be
> no more required section for that module.

Good, I was not sure. I found a couple of modules which have this problem,
I already tried to reorganize at least the most used ones, will commit it
soon. Some more feedback would be welcome on g.remove layout. Also, I
realized r.horizon would need some better organization of options, but I am
not sure how.