[GRASS-dev] r.stats output

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 05:08:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Moritz Lennert <
mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> On 24/09/14 10:00, Paulo van Breugel wrote:
>
>> I am trying to use r.stats to print out a text file with x and y
>> coordinates as well as the area (or cell count). However, it seems any
>> choice is mutually exclusive. If I choose to print the grid coordinates
>> and to print the area, what I get is the coordinates with the category
>> number. If I select to print the category labels and area, I only get
>> the category labels.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong, or is this the intended behaviour? If
>> intended, would it be an idea to enable printing out any combination of
>> selected outputs, e.g., coordinates and cell counts, or coordinates and
>> area totals?
>>

> Area totals (or cell counts) are done by category. In other words: all
> cells with a given category are summed up to give the total cell count,
> area then just being cell count * resolution^2.

I had assigned an unique category to each raster cell. So I would expect to
get a area total per raster cell

> It thus does not make sense to provide coordinates for count or area:
> which coordinates would you use if you have cells with the same category
> all over your map ?

It makes sense if each raster cell is assigned an unique category (which I
did). What I was trying was get the area per raster cell (of a latlon
raster). But yes, it makes sense that in in general it wouldn't be logical
to have coordinates and area at the same time. I was too much focussed on
my very specific case (trying an alternative way to get raster cell size of
latlon grid).

AFAIK, coordinates are only available for individual cells, so you can
> export coordinates with their cat value for further treatment.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated