[GRASS-dev] GRASS 7: r.shaded.relief changed name?

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:25:20 PDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Carlos Grohmann <carlos.grohmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> That was an interesting discussion, I'm sorry I missed it (should pay
more attention...)

> I think that modules names should be descriptive. When I started learning
GRASS (and GIS), back in my Masters, I knew what r.shaded.relief would do.
I wouldn't be sure in the case of r.relief or r.shade.
> If we have r.local.relief in the addons, it's great but a new user might
not know about this, so the name still can cause confusion.

> Making the names shorter doesn't necessarily make them better, IMO.
>
> I'd say r.shaded.relief should stay as it was.
>
> As for r.shade, I'd go with something like r.drape.shade or r.shade.drape
(because that's what it is doing) or r.shade.mapping (but this could be
confusing as well - is it mapping the shades?..)

Thanks for the comments, Carlos. I think the desire to have short names was
definitively involved in the decision. Although they might be less readable
they have different advantages. According to it's name I might see
r.shaded.relief as something which shades the relief (r.relief+r.shade) but
it just creates the shade from relief (r.relief). Also, r.relief, although
not self-explanatory, does not invoke any association with relief metrics
or relief-related parameters because I'm not familiar with these terms
(also Google and Wikipedia seems to be quite ignorant about them).

In any case, I should emphasize that although this is an important
feedback, the discussion already happened and now it would be impossible or
at least very hard to change it since we have already released 7.0.0.

Vaclav

> cheers
>
> Carlos
>

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM, Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at ncsu.edu>
wrote:

>> I agree with Carlos on this , I think r.shaded.relief was pretty clear
what it was doing. As I learned recently, r.relief indeed can be confused
with any of the numerous relief metrics.

>> Helena
>>

>> On Wednesday, April 22, 2015, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Carlos,

much better, it describes the module.

>>> I did the rename after discussion with Michael Barton and Markus
Neteler. We've tried to consider different names for several modules and
picked the ones which seemed less confusing. See the discussion:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Re-GRASS-SVN-r62845-in-grass-trunk-scripts-d-shadedmap-r-shadedmap-td5174184.html

>>> I'm afraid that in case of these modules, basically anything can be
confusing. Let us know what do you think after reading the discussion, so
we have some more feedback.