[GRASS-dev] Graphical index in manual

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 08:16:14 PDT 2015

Hi,

in r65999 [1] I added a "graphical index". Hopefully it is an appropriate
name. Run make in man dir to get graphical_index.html.

The page itself is quite simple, just images, highlight and link title
attribute (shown on hover).

The generation is quite time consuming and it won't scale well when we add
more images (which we will, right?). But if we will keep docs submitting
rules [2] then it can be actually much faster.

The page itself can also to big in the future. I see three options how to
solve it: lazy loading, generate thumbnails, split by some categories
(probably r, v, ...). Multiple approaches can be combined together to
create different indexes.

There are many ways to improve it, so feel free to suggest or implement one.

Some ideas are need also for making this page more visible.

Best,
Vaclav

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/changeset/65999
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Submitting/Docs#Images