[GRASS-dev] Graphical index in manual

Vaclav Petras wenzeslaus at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 20:59:14 PDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Vaclav Petras <wenzeslaus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in r65999 [1] I added a "graphical index". Hopefully it is an appropriate
> name. Run make in man dir to get graphical_index.html.
>
> The page itself is quite simple, just images, highlight and link title
> attribute (shown on hover).
>
> The generation is quite time consuming and it won't scale well when we add
> more images (which we will, right?). But if we will keep docs submitting
> rules [2] then it can be actually much faster.
>
> The page itself can also to big in the future. I see three options how to
> solve it: lazy loading, generate thumbnails, split by some categories
> (probably r, v, ...). Multiple approaches can be combined together to
> create different indexes.
>
> There are many ways to improve it, so feel free to suggest or implement
> one.
>
> Some ideas are need also for making this page more visible.

Next version of Graphical index is in the repository. Still experimental
but the index now links to module family/class/category list made also with
the images. The images are individually made specifically for the index.
There are some additional links, one of them is to Manual gallery which is
the original auto-generated graphical index of all images in manual pages.

To compile, go to the man directory and run make. The dependencies in the
Makefile are not yet sorted out, so you need to remove the files which
should be updated from dist.../docs/html/.

To compare, have a look at matplotlib [1] (thumbnail) gallery [2] and
screenshot page [3] as well as non-image pages such as examples and
documentation TOC [5] and how they are linked from the main page [1]. Other
example is PCL documentation [6] or Qt Widget Gallery [7].

Vaclav

[1] http://matplotlib.org
[2] http://matplotlib.org/gallery.html
[3] http://matplotlib.org/users/screenshots.html