[GRASS-dev] [GRASS GIS] #2730: wxGUI: wx.metadata/wx.mwprecip/etc: Unable to fetch interface description for command 'wx.metadata'

GRASS GIS trac at osgeo.org
Thu Aug 27 10:30:22 PDT 2015

#2730: wxGUI: wx.metadata/wx.mwprecip/etc: Unable to fetch interface description
for command 'wx.metadata'
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  mlennert     |      Owner:  grass-dev@…
      Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Component:  wxGUI        |    Version:  svn-trunk
Resolution:               |   Keywords:  interface-description toolboxes
       CPU:  Unspecified  |   Platform:  Unspecified
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------

Comment (by wenzeslaus):

 Replying to [ticket:2730 mlennert]:
 > I don't really understand why this has to be called at all when the user
 does not have any toolboxes defined...

 The reason is that addon modules go to the module tree in *Search modules*
 tab. We want them there (at least we wanted some time ago, it's probably
 few years already). You need to call addons to get their descriptions. We
 are not doing this on MS Win because it would give error windows. We can
 put there just the name on all platforms. Alternatively, we can use
 g.extension but it must be extended to output descriptions in some
 parseable format (it doesn't output them at all now). The former is quite
 stable but incomplete state, I guess there would be feature request soon.
 The latter is quite good, requires some extensions of g.extension but I
 tried to partially clean and document the code in the trunk version
 recently, so it could be easy to do it. (g.extension reads the previously
 stored descriptions from XML.)

 As for the wrong entries, there might be some wrong/insufficient info
 coming from g.extension (the list of installed addons is acquired using
 `g.extension -a`).

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2730#comment:1>
GRASS GIS <https://grass.osgeo.org>